If we had a dollar for every time people say: “My hair doesn’t hold curl”, well, we probably wouldn’t be working anymore!
Here are a few tips and tricks on how to make your curls work for you!
- Use Product! Good Product can help your hair hold curl much longer. Try blow-drying a mousse or a styling spray into your hair after washing it. This gives your hair a bit of texture and hold that naturally slippery hair doesn’t have. We recommend: Bumble and Bumble Thickening Hairspray for fine to medium textures and Davines Curl Moisture Mousse for medium to coarse textures. You also will find using a styling spray like Bumble and Bumble Does It All offers good hold and control on dry hair! Most importantly, don’t forget the heat protector, our favorite is Davines Melu Shield, which goes into wet hair, protects up to 450 degrees and stays in your hair until you wash it out, so you don’t have to reapply it!
- Let It Cool One of the biggest mistakes people make is that they let their hair hang immediately after running an iron through it or run their fingers through it. Your hair is still hot after the iron has touched it, which means the bonds are still forming the shape they are going to set in. If you let your hair fall, then the natural weight of your hair is going to stretch the curl out. We recommend pinning your curls to your head or wrapping them in rollers until they are completely cool to the touch, then letting them down and breaking them up. (But be aware the natural oils on your hands can break down curl too so a wide tooth comb is ideal!)
- Invest In The Right Tools Believe it or not professional hair tools are designed to give a better result with less damage than the drug store brands. They get hotter, and are made with better materials. You will find that investing in the right tool can really help your curls last all day looking bouncy and fresh!
- Size Matters Choosing the right iron for your hair is very important. If you have shoulder length hair and you’re using a 1 3/4″ iron, your curls are going to be super loose. The hair will only wrap around the barrel twice and therefore they will fall out a lot faster. Ask your stylist what size will be best for your hair!
- When In Doubt Ask Your Stylist We can offer case to case tips on how to make your curl best work for you!